“There will always be someone smarter, richer and better-looking than you.”
This is actually a veganized version of one of my boss and his wife’s favorite recipes, originally made with real sausage and heavy cream. After watching Forks Over Knives, they’ve switched to a more plant-based diet and decided to modify their favorite dish into a vegan version, and here it is.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound vegan sausages -- http://fieldroast.com/product/sausage-links/
- 1 cup original almond-coconut milk blend
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice with Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3/4 pound linguine
- Sautee garlic and shallots in oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Crumble vegan sausages with hand and add to pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add almond milk. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and spices and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and save 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Combine pasta and sauce over low heat, making sure pasta is fully coated. Add additional pasta water if mixture is dry.