Cinnamon and Sugar Roasted Chickpeas

I love chickpeas.
All vegans do. It’s our thing.
Normally I eat them in hummus-form,
but I’ve been roasting them lately and insist you do the same.

cinnamonsugarchickpeas

One of my favorites is cinnamon and sugar chickpeas. It sounds like an odd combination, but they’re sweet, crunchy and will remind you of cinnamon-flavored almonds.  You can make a bunch of these at once and store them in glass jars just like peanuts.

My dad is someone who eats cashews and other nuts by the handful and thinks he’s being healthy, without realizing how many calories and grams of fat he’s consuming.  Even though I constantly remind him.  If you’re like my dad, or if you are my dad and happen to be reading this, try subbing roasted chickpeas for peanuts every once in a while.  And do my taxes for me.

cinnamon sugar chickpeas3

Roasted Cinnamon Sugar Chickpeas

Recipe Adapted from Spoon

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (15oz) chickpeas
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or an additional tablespoon of sugar)
Instructions:
  • Drain the chick peas and dry them on a paper towel.  Drying is super-important so don’t ignore this step, Or me. you should never ignore me.
  • Mix vegetable oil, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl, and coat the chickpeas evenly.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 20 minutes on 400 degrees.
  • Shake the chickpeas around, and sprinkle evenly with sugar (or Splenda) and agave (optional.)
  • Bake for another 15-25 minutes and let cool.

IMG_5604
You can make these any flavor you like.
I’ll share spicy cumin next time and let you take it from there.
CHICKPEAS

Comments

• kori says

Thanks!

Roasting without an oven is going to prove difficult. Without the dry heat of an oven, you can’t technically roast them, but you could try frying them.

OR – do you have a toaster oven? I’ve baked and roasted all kinds of things in there! good luck!

1. Christina says

Can you use honey or maple syrup rather than the sugar/agave? I don’t want them to be too sticky though…

2. Quita says

Today is my first day as a vegan (vegetarian for 4 years) and I am really looking forward to trying this. Looks amazing.

• kori says

Quita – that is amazing news!!! Awesome decision – please reach out to me directly if you have any questions or need any meal ideas!!

3. Ange says

Love this idea for a healthy snack! Can you make these without the oil? I’m trying to avoid added oils in my vegan cooking.

• kori says

Thanks for reading! You can, but they won’t be as crunchy. If they’re not completely dried, the cinnamon and sugar will still stick though!

4. Madelein Araya says

Hi ! I’d love to try this recipe :D But I have a doubt.
    You said 1 can of chickpeas, but I have a bag of them. Should I cook them first? How do they come in a can? Just with water or cooked?
    Thanks in advanced !

• kori says

Yes you should cook them! They come ready to eat in a can, so you’ll want to cook your dried chickpeas in advance!

5. says

Haha, omg, chickpeas…this vegan couldn’t agree more! I laughed when I read that because I had never realized it until I saw it. It’s true. Roasted chickpeas are the bomb. I’ve never had cinnamon and sugar ones…and since you insist that I do, then I simply must! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. Wonderful idea to sub them for nuts! :)

6. says

If I dry the chickpeas out a lot, I can get the crunchy texture, but the ones I don’t eat right away always become chewy. I usually put what I can’t eat in a glass jar. Is this just me? Haha… problems.

• kori says

I move around a lot, and I’ve noticed the oven in whatever kitchen I’m in always makes these come out a little bit different. 400 degrees and 45 minutes seems to work well most of the time. I actually just modified the recipe for that.

Drying the chickpeas first is definitely key though!

7. says

Thank you! I adore cinnamon and I’m trying to eat more protein and you have combined the two! They’re in the oven now and smell fantastic. Even my picky 7 year old is excited to try them.

8. Ello says

Agghhh mine came out completely burned! I did 20 minutes and then 15, and when they came out they were totally black :( I don’t know what I did wrong!

• kori says

Hey! I’m so sorry yours burned :( Are you completely drying the chickpeas after rinsing, before coating with spices and oil?

Trackbacks

1. [...] Inspired by the hilarious Paint and Tofu [...]

2. [...] a snack that’s sweet and healthy, try these Cinnamon and Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. This unique combination will give you bite-sized treats that are easy to pack and store for later. [...]

3. [...] The original recipe can be found on Paint + Tofu. [...]