This recipe might be kind of wintery given the nice weather we’re finally getting, but hot chocolate actually reminds me of summer.
I used to drink it on cold mornings in Maine, where my family vacationed every year. Every morning in Maine is cold, and the water is always freezing, but the beaches are beautiful so they get away with it.
My family always went for morning walks on the beach, and we’d stop for coffee and hot chocolate at this place that didn’t require anyone to wear shoes. Again, you can pretty much get away with anything in Maine.
The highlight of my entire day happened before 8am because of this hot chocolate. My mom was a health zealot who rarely let us eat sugar,so Swiss Miss was liquid gold to me at the time.
Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
makes 2 servings
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 Disc of Taza chocolate (I used the guajillo chile flavor!)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Chili peppers for garnish/extra heat
- Chop chocolate into small pieces
- Heat almond milk on stovetop over low-medium heat
- Add chocolate and cayenne pepper, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- For added heat, slice chili peppers and let sit for a while. (kind of like a bay leaf!)
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper on top and serve with chili peppers as garnish so people know what’s up.