All of my recently married friends have had absolutely beautiful weddings, and my friend Erica’s this past weekend was definitely no exception. There were so many amazing details and personal touches that I wouldn’t know where to begin telling you about them.
Erica and I have been friends since first grade, and while we’re opposites in many ways (Duke vs UNC grads for starters), we definitely find common ground when it comes to food and blogging. I think about 70% of my get-togethers with Erica over the past few years have taken place at Thai restaurants.
As I was preparing for Erica’s 3-day wedding extravaganza last week, I honored our favorite food by making a lighter version of pad thai. This pad thai is about as inauthentic as it gets, but don’t let that stop you from making it. Using shredded cabbage in place of rice noodles makes this a more appealing option for the summer months, and the colors make the entire thing almost too pretty to eat!
HEALTHY PAD THAI WITH SHREDDED CABBAGE
Serves 4 – Recipe adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner and Caitlin Alexander
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1.5 cups edamame
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 4 carrots
- 2 limes
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut flour (or finely chopped peanuts, or peanut butter)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional – I don’t use it!)
- 3 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Finely shred cabbage with a sharp knife and cut carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler.
- Cook shredded cabbage in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat for about 7 – 10 minutes until crisp.
- While cabbage is cooking, mix all ingredients for the sauce together in a separate bowl.
- Pour sauce over cabbage and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Plate and garnish with carrot ribbons, shredded red cabbage, edamame, and slices of lime.
I had low expectations for Thai food that involved ketchup but was happily surprised when I tried this. I’ve heard it’s also good with spaghetti squash. Give it a try!
And a couple of wedding photos for the road….