I imagine it must be half awesome and half awful to sleep over my house. Awesome because I will make you pancakes in the morning, but awful because it will be at 6AM. I wake up really early and will annoy you like a hungry cat until you get out of bed.
But you’ll forget how much you hate me when you try these lemon pancakes. They’re sweet, airy, and full of lemon.
While I wouldn’t typically describe pancakes as light and refreshing, these pull it off while still tasting slightly sweet. They’re not sour or tart, like I thought they might be, and the homemade lemon syrup really enhances the citrus flavor. It’s also surprisingly easy to make, so don’t skip that step!
You’ll notice there’s a gazillion blueberries in these photos, but none in the ingredients below. That’s because I made a bad call. The blueberries take away from the lemon flavor and actually do make the pancakes taste tart.
Especially when you add an entire pint. Ah, I got so carried away. I’ve heard others recommend rosemary if you want to add something extra.
Vegan Lemon Pancakes with Lemon Syrup
Makes about 10 pancakes – Recipe adapted from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Ener-G egg replacer egg
- 1.25 cups almond milk
- juice of one lemon
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of water
- peel of one lemon
- Mix all dry ingredients together for pancakes, and then add wet ingredients, including lemon zest.
- Drop pancakes by 1/4 cup onto lightly greased frying pan/griddle on med-high heat. Cook for about 2 minutes each side, or until lightly brown.
- For syrup, mix sugar and water over high heat on the stove. Add lemon peel and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes. (Less if you want thin syrup, more if you want thicker syrup). Remove lemon peel and serve with pancakes.
Note – The syrup has to cool for it to thicken and then you can reheat it!
It’s not so easy eating pancakes when they’re stacked 10 high.
try anyway + have a good morning.