3 Little Pigs, 3 Blind Mice, Goldilocks and the 3 Bears….
Beg, Borrow, or Steal….Ready, Set, Go……Eat Pray Love
The Rule of Three is a communication tool that suggests grouping things in threes makes whatever you’re trying to say funnier, more effective, or more entertaining. So when people say things like “things always come in threes,” they are probably right. But it has nothing to do with fate. It’s just smart people who know how to manipulate others with language.
Something to think about in case you feel like saying grace before you eat these chocolate pb pretzels bars. In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spi….ohhh they almost got me.
On that note, let me manipulate you with this divine trio of chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzels. This is such a great combination and I could eat them all day long. But I won’t, because these aren’t quite as healthy as last week’s cucumber sandwiches. While they are pretty much the exact opposite in terms of health content, they’re still bite-size, very adorable, and absolutely delicious. And they’re both pretty high in protein. And they also don’t require any baking! Maybe we’re not so different after all.
This is the definition of a salty + sweet snack. A layer of sweetened peanut butter and crushed pretzels is covered with melted chocolate and topped with a mini pretzel. It’s an irresistible combination, so if you have no willpower, you should seriously just get yourself back to the cucumber sandwich page, because these are addictive.
My unrequitted love for salt makes these one of my favorite desserts. Eating too much sodium is probably the one thing I do that is horribly unhealthy, and I can’t stop. I’ll go for weeks at a time making a concerted effort to stop adding salt or hot sauce to my food, but I always come back to it. They always come back.
I like the crust so much that I started eating just the bottoms and leaving the chocolate tops for someone else. I do this with a lot of things. Don’t leave me alone with your trail mix.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL BARS
Makes about 24 bars – Recipe adapted from Top With Cinnamon
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 3 cups of mini pretzels
- 1 T vegan butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 package (10 oz) of semi-sweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips (they’re vegan!)
- Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with tinfoil and lightly grease with vegan butter or spray.
- Crush 2 cups of the pretzels in a plastic bag with a rolling pin.
- Mix peanut butter, vegan butter, and both sugars.
- Spread mixture across the bottom of the tin foiled pan and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 30 seconds at a time until smooth and melted. Pour over peanut butter layer.
- Place about 20-25 mini pretzels in evenly spaced rows into chocolate, and let cool to room temperature.
- Lift both sides of the tinfoil to pull the bars out and place onto a flat surface.
- Use the pretzels as a guide and cut bars with a sharp knife.
I’m off to the lake for a week with my entire family, a dog, and one fat cat. Enjoy this recipe & talk to you soon!