I try to watch a few TED talks a week. And please don’t think I’m trying to sound intellectual for saying that, because it’s truthfully just the opposite. I commit so little time to reading books/the news lately, that listening to TED talks while I fold laundry is pretty much the only thing keeping me from being an entirely worthless human. I’m really doing the bare minimum here when it comes to lifelong learning.
While I know this is not very romantic, my Valentine’s Day present to you, in addition to these (heart healthy) chocolate avocado truffles, is one of my favorite TED talks on the topic of relationships. This talk is about why it’s difficult to desire (desire, not love) the same person for your entire life, and how the qualities that make you love someone are oftentimes the exact opposite qualities that make you desire someone – and what you can do about that.
But I’m guessing you don’t come to Paint + Tofu for relationship advice, so we’ll move on to the dark chocolate avocado truffles. They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day, and if you don’t love them, you either need to lower your standards or just accept that you’re going to be alone forever.
DARK CHOCOLATE AVOCADO TRUFFLES
Recipe Adapted from Apple of My Eye
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5oz dark chocolate bar (vegan!)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Optional Add-Ins: Crushed nuts, coconut shreds, mini chocolate chips, instant coffee
- Mash avocado with a fork until smooth and creamy.
- Melt chocolate bar in microwave or over stovetop until melted.
- Mix avocado, melted chocolate, vanilla, sugar, salt, and 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder. Also add any additional mix-ins.
- Freeze/refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Once somehwat-solidified, scoop and roll into 3/4″ balls.
- Roll in remaining cocoa powder and serve!