This hurricane is really raining on my
parade plans to go to the beach today. I blame Obama, because he’s not a Patriot and will clearly stop at nothing to ruin America’s birthday. He probably didn’t even run it by Congress and just went ahead and ordered a hurricane to invade North Carolina in retaliation for all the fantastically conservative laws they’ve passed in the last two years.
Anyway, these Fourth of July banana “ice cream” cones are still a fantastic last minute addition to whatever you end up doing today. And you know it’s great when I put quotes around the name of the “food.”
Everyone pretty much knows by now that blending frozen bananas results in a banana concoction with the texture of ice cream. You can add everything and anything that you normally would to ice cream, and it’s a deliciously simple and healthy dessert that I eat all summer long. To keep it extra healthy (and patriotic) I served them in baby cones and crushed up some dehydrated strawberries, blueberries, and bananas to use as sprinkles.
- 4 bananas
- 1/4 cup almond or other non-dairy milk (if needed)
- 1 cup dried fruit - (I used Tiny Fruits from LIttle Duck Organics) http://bit.ly/TinyFruits
- Cut bananas into bite size pieces, spread out on a wax-paper lined cookie tray and freeze for sever al hours/overnight.
- Blend banana pieces in a food processor or blender until an ice cream consistency is reached. If you prefer a more milkshake-like consistency, feel free to add some of the non-dairy milk.
- Top with crushed dehydrated, dried, or frozen fruit pieces. (blueberries, strawberries, and more bananas work well if you're going for the 4th of July look!)